From Vinyl Creep
Joey is the co-creative director at Formula Werks and has called Chicago his home for the past several years, after graduating with a BFA in Illustration from the Maryland Institute, College of Art. He has been drawing and painting since childhood. His father’s drawings, Saturday morning cartoons, video games, plush animals, comic books, T-shirt illustrations, toys, and skateboarding were his earliest influences. After graduating, he moved to Chicago where he was able to focus his attention on apparel design, custom painted shoes and toys, and of course, paintings on canvas and wood panels. He is always working on new pieces and hand-painted customs for shows in the U.S., Asia, and Europe, as well as many other artistic ventures. Joey’s clients include New Balance, Hasbro, Beautiful Decay, Burger King, and Freshly Dipped. When not painting, he is drawing, creating T-shirt designs, pacing back and forth, hating slow computers, and dreaming of eating a steak. He is also a founding member of the Chicago art collective the Cartel.
Designed Toy Releases
These are toys designed by Joey.
- Lake Monsters - SOLEM (Single Optic Lake Effect Monster)
Toy Series Participation
These are toys that Joey has lent his design skills to.
These are one-off, or very limited, toys.
- ILLAZILLA! - custom for Attack of ILLAZILLA!, 2009
- Custom for the 3D Canvas Show, 2009
- Devil Dog - custom for Osaka Popstar Devil Dog Art Show, 2008
- Plushform - custom for NYCC, 2008
- Piece for We Need Each Other, 2008
- Gwin - custom for the Mega Gwin Custom Show, 2007
- Qee - 10" DIY Bart Qee "Full Moon Fever" for the DIY Bart Qee World Tour, 2007
- Teddy Troop - 10" custom for Teddy Troop Invasion, 2006
- BUD - for The Bomb Project, 2006
- Cheshire Cat - 8" custom for We're All Mad Here, 2006