The idea behind ‘KMNDZ’ is built upon the premise of reflection, hope, and a burning desire to live life to the fullest.” A successful leader in the graphic design community, this Los Angeles based artist, has worked for some of the world’s premier design agencies and top entertainment companies. With brands like MTV Networks, Universal Pictures, Microsoft, Lexus, Disney, and Activision populating his resume, Johnny has built an impressive portfolio of both artistic and technological accomplishments in the world of graphic design and new-media. However, first and foremost, Johnny is an artist. He attributes his success in commercial design as a direct result of his passion for art. KMDNZ is about both the past and the future. “Anyone who’s ever touched a Mac, knows that the keystroke combination ‘command’ + ’z’ = ‘undo’. After using it day in and day out at work, I started wishing that I had an ‘undo’ action for everyday life. We’ve all done things that we wished we hadn’t, and said things that we would like to take back.” Rodriguez’s personal work is quite different from his commercial endeavors. When he sits down to paint, he puts aside the pressures of mass appeal and commercial accessibility, and instead focuses on creating art for himself. Drawing from his own life, his paintings are filled with memories of family and friends, religious undertones, and iconic elements. A recent piece features a drawing of an audio cassette embedded into a hand grenade. This represents a tough look back at the time when his father left their family to fight a war in Nicaragua, and left only an audio recording to explain his actions. Other paintings depict the biblical stories of Jonah and King David. Yet another deals with a strange coincidence that reminds him of a close relative that recently passed away from cancer. “I’m overwhelmed by the reaction that I’ve received about my art. I paint about the things that have meaning in my life, and it’s amazing to know that it touches others. The messages are simple. Love GOD, Be honest to yourself. Hold yourself accountable for your actions. Never forget. And live your life fully without wishing to hit ‘KMNDZ’.
Designed Toy Releases
These are toys designed by Johnny.
Toy Series Participation
These are toys that Johnny has lent his design skills to.
These are one-off, or very limited, toys.
- Piece(s) for Silent Wonderment, 2016
- Space Crabs - custom for DCon, 2015
- Running Eye - custom for Running Eye NYC, 2015
- Lolligag - "Muerte" custom for Vive La Lolligag!, 2014
- Piece(s) for One of One, 2014
- YHWH - "Tree of Life" custom for the YHWH Group Custom Show, 2013
- Munny - "Xavier" custom, DCon exclusive, 2013
- Billy - "The Monster Within" custom for Blamo 5th Annual Custom Show, 2013
- Card for The Art Hustle 3, 2012
- Bellicose Bunny - "To the Moon" custom for Bellicosity, 2012
- Piece for Inle, 2011
- Pieces for Baby Tattooville, 2011
- Buff Monster Series - custom for The Monster Within show, 2010
- Pieces for Baby Tattooville, 2009
- Custom DC Trainers for Kicks, 2008
- Yoka - 10" custom for Beasts of Burden, 2008
- Piece for the SuperHero Art Exhibition, 2008
- Qee - customs for the Love Hate show, 2007
- "Grace" for Power In Numbers 2, 2007
- Piece for Power In Numbers, 2006