Valency Genis is and amazing sculpture artist that creates hybrid creatures of fancy. Valency Genis hails from the Republic of Cascadia; she entered the world as a 12-pound baby born in Portland, Oregon, and was then raised in Seattle, Washington. She was utterly obsessed with television and video games for most of her life, so it is ironic that a summer spent on Flathead Lake, Montana in an electronics-free log cabin when she was 10 years old would change her life forever. Searching for diversions to alleviate her interminable boredom, she happened upon an old taxidermy shop. A dusty pair of ‘unborn beavers’ caught her eye in the window display, and it forever imprinted on her naïve adolescent mind. The stunning array of animals presented in the rustic store drew her in with their beauty, but she was bereaved by their demise…
While studying for her BFA at the University of New Mexico, Valency discovered that she had the power to create creatures and control their aesthetics, while minimizing the tragedy associated with taxidermied animals. She takes an almost Dr. Frankenstein-like glee in crafting her unique animals, drawing on influences ranging from Dr. Seuss to Natural History Museum dioramas. Her first solo show, Heterodoxy, was at the John Sommers Gallery (UNM) in November 2011, and it garnered Ms. Genis summa cum laude honors from The UNM Department of Art and Art History (which she proudly added to her summa cum laude baccalaureate honors).
She describes her current living situation as ‘life in a frathouse’ as she raises her 2 teenage sons alongside her husband of 20+ years, Shane, who is a CV-22 Osprey flight engineer in the U.S. Air Force.
- Spirit Animals, 2016
Designed Toy Releases
These are toys designed by Valency.
Toy Series Participation
These are toys that Valency has lent her design skills to.
These are one-off, or very limited, pieces.
- Piece(s) for They Came From Planet Rainbow Sparkles, 2018
- Piece(s) for Gift Wrapped, 2017
- Piece(s) for They Came From Planet Rainbow Sparkles, 2017
- "Irving" for Mattel x G1988, 2017
- Piece(s) for Kaleidoscope of Kyoot, 2016
- Bedtime Bunnies - custom for Le Reve Du Lapin, 2016
- Piece(s) for Gift Wrapped, 2015
- Piece(s) for Winter Salon, 2015
- "Mussidan & Marinet"
- Piece(s) for Cutepocalypse, 2015
- Piece(s) for The Nightmare in Wonderland Project - Part Zero, 2015
- Pieces for Bewitching, 2014
- Skelve - "Dodo Skelve" Aqua & Lavender customs for Conjuring Mischief, 2014
- Pieces for Traveling Circus, 2014
- Piece(s) for Winter Salon, 2014
- Pieces for Bewitching, 2013
- Piece(s) for Winter Salon with Kathie Olivas, 2012
- "Hybrid Series: Circus Cuniculus"
- "Hybrid Series: Lilac Lamb"
- "Hybrid Series: Coral"
- "Hybrid Series: Pink Chocolate Death"
- "Hybrid Series: Chocolate Leaf Rabbit"
- "Hybrid Series: Indigo"
- "Hybrid Series: Lilac Jackalope"
- "Hybrid Series: Mad Hatter"
- "Hybrid Series: Turquoise Lamb"