As a graduate with a BFA from Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, Miso’s work is presented through a variety of mediums including paintings, sculptures, drawings, and etchings. Her art is often stimulated by her interpretation of the known and her experimentation with the unknown. Fascinated with ecocatastrophe, biology and the science of evolution, Miso has sought to fabricate a world in which strange creatures, born of her making, exist and thrive among us. These homunculi are organic representations of the term that provides her name.
“The Cold Returns” was a winter show. The sheepies and misos that populate this exhibition have weathered the tundra and fjords of their individual phantasmagoria to open a new season, with the promise of a magical experience. Miso currently works and resides in Los Angeles, California, and creates fine art photography under her given name, Karen Hsiao.
Designed Toy Releases
These are toys designed by Miso.
Toy Series Participation
These are toys that Miso has lent her design skills to.
These are one-off, or very limited, pieces.
- Piece(s) for Year of the Monkey, 2016
- Lolligag - "Princess Lollifur & Her Bunbuns" custom for Vive La Lolligag!, 2014
- Piece for 99 Deaths of Jar Jar, 2013
- My Little Pony custom for The Pony Project, 2012
- Piece(s) for Crowded Teeth: A Sweet Group Show, 2011
- Plush for Stuff This! Plush Group Show, 2009
- Piece for The Nature of Water, 2007
- Qee - custom for Plastic Pimps - The Qee Sessions, 2006